Mark Wolynn is the director of the Family Constellation Institute in San Francisco. He is a leading expert in the field of inherited family trauma.
His book It Didn't Start With You: How Inherited Family Trauma Shapes Who We Are and How to End the Cycle (published by Viking/Penguin) is the winner of the 2016 Silver Nautilus Book Award in psychology and has been translated into 19 languages.
His articles have appeared in Psychology Today, Mind Body Green, MariaShriver.com, Elephant Journal, and Psych Central, and his poetry has been published in The New Yorker.
Topics Discussed In This Episode:
- Inherited family trauma - a detailed overview of trauma’s resonating effect
- Our bodies reaction to trauma and how we can biologically pass those reactions to our offspring through our genes
- Current research within the scientific field of trauma
- The potency of language
- Mark’s “Core Language Approach” or otherwise known as trauma language, which is seen through the observation of verbal and non-verbal cues
- Mark’s background and journey into healing
- Avoiding negative emotions
- Our symptoms being our guides
- Mindfulness and meditation practices